Monday, April 19, 2010

All about Rodney

This is a post about everything Rodney does that I never want to forget and the info from doctors. No pictures, where's the camera when you need it?! Enjoy!
Rodney had a lot of appointments this week. Tuesday was the big day with an appointment at Children's Hospital and a check-up for his tubes at the ear doctor. Whirlwind of a day between school and doctors to say the least! We dropped Mark off at school and left for Denver. Children's hospital was kind of interesting this time because we met with a new doctor. He was very fast and to-the-point. He couldn't even tell me what the %-ages were. All we learned from that appointment is that he is still short but he is following a curve which is more important. The important part of that appointment is that Rodney graduated from the Clinic. He said that Rodney is "growing wonderfully". We drove straight home and got in town just in time for his next appointment at the ear doctors. His tubes are great! They healed perfectly. We met with the audiologist. They sit Rodney and a parent in the room and make sounds out of speakers. When Rodney looks the direction the sound came from they would light up a toy inside of a dark box as a "reward". Some reward... Anyway... Rodney out-smarted them because I knew that there were toys in the box and just looked back and forth waiting for the toy to light up. He had us all laughing! We found out at his 15 month appointment that he is in the 6% for height, 50% for head circ., and 1% for height (19lb 7 oz.). 19% for his weight to height ratio. (which is what's really good!) Rodney is very steady when it comes to climbing and such. One of his favorite things to do is climb. He loves to climb onto chairs and couches and coffee tables, and then stand up. He is doing better with the sign language. He knows please really well. He got confused when I tried to expand on the drink and eat. I tried to do "more" and it threw him way off. After that signs were a free for all. They all meant the same thing. haha. Please started when I had starburst jelly beans on top of the fridge in the kitchen. I had the gate up so he couldn't climb up onto the kitchen table. I showed him please and he got the hang of it right away. Please got him a jelly bean, genius! The next day I was fixing him some breakfast and feeding him a few bites of banana over the gate. I told him to say please and rubs his tummy with both hands frantically while looking on top of the fridge for the jelly beans. It has taken us a couple of weeks to understand that please doesn't mean jelly bean... He can say all done although he doesn't do it as much anymore. He was doing it lots when we were in North Dakota. He says dog and duck although they both sound pretty much the same. Rodney knows where his nose is we are He looks for Wyatt out the kitchen window everytime we wash up after a meal. He still is eating a TON! Favorite foods are bananas, cheese, pasta (his mama's babe!), and spicy foods. He prefers eggs with salsa, spicy chips, guacamole instead of plain avacados. He's always thirsty. He gets so excited when he sees his best friends Taytum or Liam. Recently he started throwing fits. He will swing at me when I do something he doesn't like. We are working on being soft...slowly I think it is sinking in. He has 7 teeth, 4 on top and 3 on bottom. He loves to give me raspberries. If my lower back shows at all he is right there to blow on me. He is actually really good at them, and boy do they tickle!!! He thinks it is so funny too. He gives me a good one then looks up at me and laughs! He will even lift up my shirt so he can do it, over and over again! When he sleeps he puts his head in the corner of his crib and falls alseep on his belly but when we go check on him he is on his back with his hands behind his head and feet crossed. Every night. One last thing I can't forget is that he has this thing about his belly. He lifts up his shirt and walks around. Or when he gets worn out from playing he will lean up against something and rub his belly. It cracks me up! It's like that is how he relaxes or something. All-in-all, He is growing and learning so many new things! We sure do love him!

2 comments:

Heather said...

So cute! I love reading posts like this! It's so fun to know what he's doing at this age and it will be so good to act as a journal for you!

We miss you guys!

P.S. It is starting to look more and more like we are moving to Denver... keep your fingers crossed that this job comes through!

Amber Fryar said...

Congrats Rodney! I love this age! Liam and Rodney are so stinkin cute together. This summer we will have to have more play dates!